Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Down the Hatch

Some of my favorite treats when I was a child (and after I was cleared for possible allergies):
  • Most mornings before school when I was in the third grade and Mom was expecting my sister Linda, she would make me a giant pancake. I'd put butter and sugar on it and eat it while I watched reruns of Father Knows Best and Leave It To Beaver. When Linda was born, the pancake service pretty much dried up. But that was okay. I just learned how to make them for myself. And I knew my mom still loved me.
  • Slicing up fresh tomatoes from the garden and sprinkling them with a little salt and pepper.
  • Eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with chicken noodle soup, especially when I was on the mend after being sick.
  • Snacking on dilly beans (whole green beans pickled and canned with dill) and cucumbers sliced up and marinated in vinegar. More garden treats.
  • Putting chocolate milk the blender and frothing it at the highest setting so it was light and full of bubbles. I especially liked to drink it when I had my nose in a book. I'm sure it was my treat of choice all the way through Dr. Dolittle, and I'm guessing through Harriet the Spy and The Outsiders as well.

No comments: