Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Uncomfortable

Something happened today that reminded me of an experience I had in the dorms when I was in college. The details were different, but the feeling it left me with was similar.

My roommate and I had boyfriends that year. We were both pretty serious about our relationships. Despite my mother's admonitions, I thought I might marry him, but didn't. She was serious enough to marry hers a few years later.

One day a group of girls in the dorm came to me and requested that I talk to her. She and her boyfriend had been involved in a fair amount of PDA as we called it. Public Displays of Affection. In the dorm lobby. It was making people feel very uncomfortable.

So I screwed up my courage and talked to her privately. "I know you guys care about each other, but it's making people feel a little uncomfortable," I said. Ugh. I don't know anyone who enjoys either end of a confrontation like that.

Soon after that I was saying goodnight to my boyfriend at the back door of the dormitory, definitely holding hands, likely a kiss was involved. My roommate brushed past us and hissed, "You are making me feel so uncomfortable."

I'm sure that I was. But I don't think it was because I was saying goodnight to my boyfriend. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of confronting people, especially when they aren't expecting it.



No comments: