Monday, May 21, 2012

In Color

Tonight I turned to my box of old journals for inspiration. I randomly opened to an entry I wrote in college. April 1983.

A friend invited me to her grandparents' cabin in West Yellowstone, Idaho, for a weekend. "The snow was beautiful and the snowmobiling was great," I wrote with stunning attention to detail.

I remember that we watched The Wizard of Oz on TV one night while we were there. All of a sudden, I realized that the movie was in color! I'd only ever seen it on a black and white TV because that's all we had while I was growing up. I had no idea the movie starts out in black and white and turns to color when Dorothy isn't in Kansas anymore.

It was like I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I love that moment in the movie. What a brilliant decision. It so perfectly sets the tone for the magic to come.