Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Okay, I shouldn't promise a specific blog post the next day when I know I'll probably end up crazy tired. Up early after a late night, a last morning full of walking in DC, then metro to the end of the green line, bus to airport, plane, drive home. I finally got on eastern time and now I'm completely done for.

So a quick memory tonight.

I caught the travel bug early, and was determined to be as independent as I could be. I remember taking a solo bus ride from Massachusetts to Connecticut to visit my grandmother when I was maybe 10 or 11. I loved the sheer act of being on the move like that!

And the summer I turned 12 or 13, I saved up my money to pay for a plane ticket to Chicago to visit my other grandmother at the lake house (in addition to the annual visit my family made earlier). I remember washing every window in the house, sewing dresses for my sisters, mowing the lawn, washing and waxing the car, cleaning out the barn. Anything to earn money for that ticket!

All through my teenage years (and actually still), I was way more interested in saving money for adventures than spending money on clothes and record albums.

The last six days = money very well spent in my book.

2 comments:

Kazzy said...

If I had more freed up cash I would go and go and go. It runs through my veins!

Robin said...

I love how your life has become what you wanted it to be in so many ways.