Monday, January 10, 2011

One Guilty Pleasure and Counting

I've debated about posting this because I'm not entirely sure what it reveals about me. But here it goes: today TLC started rerunning the series about the Duggar family--the one with all the kids--from the beginning. Back when it was 17 Kids and Counting. I think they are up to 19 now.

And I started watching it.

Technically I have seen bits and pieces of the Duggar shows in the past, so the family is not entirely new to me. But the desire to watch the series from the beginning is new. And when desire meets opportunity, well, that's how something like this starts. I confess the show is now programmed into my DVR.

The thing is I find that family so intriguing! I am in awe of their organizational skills and how the parents deal with their children so lovingly and patiently and how they are living their lives so deliberately. They are calmly passionate about their commitment to their values, which sounds like an oxymoron, but in their case it's not. They stick to their principles, but exude no sense of superiority or condemnation of others. And even as they work to stick to their principles, they laugh about their missteps. They run a tight ship, but they don't seem to stress when things go off task or schedule.

I have been sucked in because I want to figure out how they do it.


2 comments:

Robin said...

Can you even imagine? I can't. Just thinking of the grocery bill makes me start to hyperventilate.

We don't have cable or anything, so I will never see this show. I have heard of the family but didn't know much about them. The things you say make me think I may have been judgmental without any exposure at all. Shame on me.

Margy said...

Well, it is pretty freaky to have 19 children. And there's no question they've got a very distinctive family culture. They really are very unusual.