Saturday, January 22, 2011

An Extra Large Slice of Life

Tonight Roger, Jack and I went to a small dinner party at our friends Andi and Marco's cabin up the south fork of Provo Canyon. It's the first time we've been to their cabin, but more importantly it's the first time we've had a chance to enjoy one of Andi's abundant loaves of bread.

Over the past year or so, Andi has made more than 100 loaves of bread (with 14 cups of flour in each one!) to share with people. She calls it her bread-and-butter campaign, a way to create connections and community.

A week or so ago, she decided to start adding words. On Thursday she took a loaf to her friend Charlotte for her birthday that read "This bread is good. You are better." I discovered that when I saw a picture of the very loaf on my friend Karen's blog. Andi's community grew larger without her even knowing it.

And I'll tell you, Charlotte must be absolutely amazing because the bread was better than good!

4 comments:

Jim Layton said...

How does she add the words?

Robin said...

That is truly one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. So beautiful.

Anything that builds connections is good in my book. Truly giving of yourself through your thoughts and efforts? What a wonderful woman.

I would totally live on a commune with her. Not sure what I'd contribute. Maybe I could shear the sheep or something.

Margy said...

Jim, I don't know exactly, but it involves cardboardish cut out letters and sifted flour.

Robin, I always love your comments! Every time!

Kazzy said...

Charlotte is amazing, and I think I ate my weight in bread that night.