Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hot and Cold

Last night was the first time in a long time that I slept in our house without Roger here. I think it might be only the second time in our whole married life. It's weird how weird it is.

While Jack and I were nestled under thick blankets at home, Roger was sleeping on the ground somewhere in the snowy mountains with a bunch of boy scouts. He had thick blankets, too, but they didn't do him a darn bit of good. We're very thankful he thawed out enough to come home to us today.

Just a couple of weeks ago, Roger and I ended our stint teaching 7-year-olds at church, and he was asked to be an assistant scout master for the 12- and 13-year-old boys. Let's just say that camping is not on his list of favorites. Especially when it's below freezing.

To let him know how proud I am of him for braving the cold, I decided to brave the heat and bake him a cake.

I don't use the oven often. And I use my cool, red Kitchen Aid even less often. I got the Kitchen Aid for Christmas the same year I got the crockpot. Yeah, I was overly ambitious with my Christmas list that year.

Tomorrow I'll have to dust off the panini maker and make it three for three.

3 comments:

Robin said...

You're such a sweet wife. And so domestic.

Can't wait to hear how the panini sandwiches turn out.

Give your husband an extra pat on the back from me. I feel great gratitude to anyone who is willing to serve with the boy scouts. I want to kill my boy scout on a regular basis.

Sid Schwab said...

Panini... yum.

My main memory of Boy Scouts was a camping trip during which we soaked dried apricots overnight, made thick dough the next morning, of Bisquick and powedered milk, stuck the dough on a peeled thick stick and rolled it over the fire, making a brown tube, into which we poured the apricots which we'd boiled with sugar, making a thick jam.

Among top five meals ever, rated on some sort of scale that takes into account experiences up to the event in question.

Margy said...

Made French toast in the panini maker. It was tasty!