Sunday, August 05, 2012

Trust Me, I'm the Captain

Today was a picture perfect day at the lake. Sadly, I didn't take a single picture. We had a blue, blue sky with a few fluffy white clouds, it wasn't too warm, and we had a fabulous sailing wind.

I enjoyed a long, wild sail this afternoon with Uncle Tom, who is pictured here with me. We were bailing out the sailboat last week after he tipped it over with my dad. Before they got the boat upright, it was swamped by motorboat waves, and it ended up turning turtle. The water safety patrol got involved. Then the police boat. It was quite an adventure for everyone involved.


Years ago we had a much larger sailboat, one that never tipped over. At least as far as I knew. Then one day I got up the nerve to sail it. Boom. Right over. In full view of my grandmother who was sitting on the pier.

"Laurie," she said to my dad when we finally made it back to shore. "I don't think I can trust that girl the way I trust you."

Thirty five years later, I still make a much better crew member than captain. Maybe one day, though, I'll put my mind to earning that trust.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, we tipped over at least once in the C. Mary and Dad and I, and we turned turtle. We were wondering why there were no other boats (sailboats) out on the Lake. Guess we found out. :)
Mom