Thursday, August 09, 2012

A Change of Pace

Today was cold and rainy. I didn't even swim in the lake once. After spending most of the day reading, talking, playing speed scrabble, and doing a few household chores, I did get out of the cottage for a while, though. Dad and I drove over to Williams Bay and took a soggy walk through the Kishwauketoe Nature Conservancy.

I wish

(1) I'd brought my camera, which is waterproof so it would have been fine in the rain. Part of the trail was lined with hundreds and hundreds of black-eyed susans. Stunning.

(2) That we'd brought apples to eat. Hiking with Dad in chilly weather, tromping through fields and woods, reminded me of all the walks we took as a family when I was a kid growing up in New England. Especially in the fall, when we'd bring a stash of Macintosh apples to eat on the trail.

And hope

(3) We'll get back to sun and summer tomorrow.

No comments: