Thursday, August 03, 2006

Reaching Out

The power other people have to make us feel better never ceases to amaze me. So many times over the past weeks other people have come to my emotional rescue, often without even knowing it.

Roger has so often struck the perfect balance of level headedness and empathy when I take a moment to have a breakdown. He is exceptionally good at helping me focus on what's real or rational or important, while at the same time totally validating my feelings.

Jack gives the most satisfying, heartfelt hugs and he is very good company. I love ending every day laughing and reading with him.

Shelley has protected me from customer situations that on normal days would have been no big deal--and this whole transition hasn't been easy on her either! Virlie marched into my office on Tuesday when Roger and I were trying to figure out how we wanted to handle a particularly difficult decision, plopped a twenty on my desk and told us to go out for a long lunch on her and she'd handle everything at the store while were were gone. We were able to regroup and move forward because of that.

Carol brought me chocolate and listened to me. Linda has made all the right noises and adopted our whole family. She brought dinner over to the store the other night and our families had an impromptu party in the children's section. Carolyn let us crash a dinner party at her house (I swear they usually eat at 5:00 on Sundays and we didn't drop in until 7:30) and hang out with her fun friends from Denmark (which just fed my wanderlust). Diana and Rich took time out for us several times in the past week. We had lots of fun with them, and Jack was thrilled to hook up with their daughter Gracie, one of his best friends of all time.

Frankly, I could go on and on and I am so, so thankful for that.

No comments: