Saturday, August 05, 2006

Charlie

There's no question that ending a business that has been so fun and meaningful and satisfying is hard. Lots of work, lots of emotion, lots of uncertainty.

But it's really important to have perspective. Jack, for example, is really mad that we're closing the store, but I'd much rather have him learn about dealing with a hard change like this than with, say, a death in the family.

We're surrounded by stories about people going through really, really tough situations that I can't even begin to imagine dealing with. I'm not in Lebanon or Iraq or Darfour. I'm not a parent grieving for a murdered daughter or dealing with the aftermath of a fatal accident.

This past spring, my cousin's son Charlie was in a brutal skiing accident, and it will be a long road to recovery, including dealing with a serious brain injury. Last month I started reading the blog that his parents have been writing to keep family and friends updated on his progress.

What's amazing is that even through the worst moments and living with the highest degree of uncertainty about Charlie's future, my cousin and her family have drawn great strength from one another and are pushing forward.

Reading their story has helped me keep a bit of perspective in my life. Not that I don't do my share of whining, but I do spend more time keeping others, including Charlie and his family, in my thoughts and prayers.

We're rooting for you, Charlie!

No comments: