Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Two Hands

It is good that we are currently having a widespread conversation (well, at least a tweeting back and forth) about rape and sexual assault. But I've been truly disturbed by certain elements of the pushback I've seen as people have voiced their experiences, trying to help others understand aspects of culture that fly in the face of what we otherwise proclaim to be obvious: that people shouldn't rape or otherwise sexually assault other people.

I want to add my voice. The following is an excerpt from a post I wrote in 2011.

I have personally never considered myself a victim of abuse, but it astounds me that when I think back over my own life, I need at least two hands to count the number of times boys and men--unequivocally uninvited--have crossed darn inappropriate lines with me, including three that actually broke laws currently on the books. Two hands! That's not okay!

We need to work harder to make the world a safer place. 

No comments: