Thursday, May 29, 2014

Teeming

I went for a walk in the fading light of day. Got home after dark.

I walked by the homes of people who have lived here longer than us (20 years!), and I walked by homes that have changed hands since we moved in, sometimes multiple times.

So many stories in all of the houses. Next door a new engagement. On the next street a wedding coming up tomorrow. Posters in the windows announcing the graduating seniors who live inside. Babies born, gardens grown, sudden deaths, slow deaths. Broken marriages, second marriages, third marriages, coming outs. Business startups, jobs lost, books published, prison terms, church missions, college degrees, retirements, camping trips. Cancer, infertility, heart attacks, depression, stolen trucks. More than one Olympic hopeful.

So much life packed into just a few blocks. I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm exhilarated and worn out thinking about it.

No comments: