Friday, February 28, 2014

Don't Pin Me Down

Roger brought home pizza for dinner. I asked for one with all the veggies.

We started the researched argument project at school this week. My students will be working on it for the balance of the semester. They will be required to defend whatever answer they come up with to their research question, and that will require taking a position.

As I work with my students, I always try to remember this: I was basically a junior in college before I realized I owned an opinion about something--that I do prefer certain toppings on my pizza.

See it was always easier to go along to get along. I was a middle child. I had an opinionated older brother who always thought he was right. My dad's first reaction to any idea I expressed was usually contrary. I never thought I knew enough about any subject to sort out the complexities, especially when I could see merit in so many different points of view.

And, frankly, I came of age in the 70s. It was hard to pick clothes or figure out which songs I liked on the radio when disco came along and classic rock turned acid. The truth was, I thought most of the clothes during that era were ugly and ill fitting and I didn't really like the music. But I didn't know that at the time.

It's funny. I know more now, which means I realize I hardly know enough. Certainty makes me squirm, and yet I have more conviction about some things than I've ever had.

Mostly I like to stay open. And, yeah, I'll eat pepperoni on my pizza even though I don't really like it.

No comments: