Friday, June 08, 2012

Anxious Engagement

We had a nice visit this evening with Roger's brother and his wife who are in town from Iowa and ended up swapping engagement stories.

Roger and I had a mostly on, sometimes off, relationship for several years before we got engaged. I wasn't sure it was really heading anywhere so I'd break it off. Then I couldn't resist him, and we'd end up back together again. That happened several times.

In 1990, I flew home for my sister Linda's high school graduation, determined to make some changes. While I was there, I finalized my plans. I'd sell everything I owned, including my house and car, turn in a letter of resignation at work, and head off to Denmark. My brother had contacts there and thought he could line up some freelance work for me.

When I got back to Salt Lake City, Roger met me at the airport. As we drove south toward home on I-15, I told him all about my plans.

"Before you turn in that letter of resignation, would you consider staying here and marrying me instead?" he asked. Twice. Apparently I was too busy talking or lost in my own thoughts to hear him the first time. I'm still working on that.

I looked out the car window. We were driving right past the state prison at the point of the mountain.

"Um, I have to think about that," I said. "Can I let you know in the morning?" My mind was so set on the plans I'd made, I had to unwind it. And I didn't actually know what it was like to be in a relationship with someone who had asked me to marry him. I had to wrap my brain around it.

Roger probably wasn't expecting that response.

By morning my mind was very clear. Of course I would consider staying and marrying him instead. And once we were engaged it seemed crazy that I had any question about it.

We got married exactly eight weeks later. 




1 comment:

Robin said...

I'm trying not to read anything into the fact the you noticed the prison just as the proposal came.

Great story.