Friday, June 30, 2006

One of My Favorite Places on Earth


This weekend, Jack and I will fly to Chicago and drive almost two hours north to one of my favorite places on earth: Lake Geneva in Wisconsin. I'm going to work myself into the ground for the next two days, and then we will leave it all behind for an entire week!

We are going to swim and sail and hang out with family and hike the shore path and read and jump on the trampoline and watch fireworks and sleep, sleep, sleep. One of the things I'm looking forward to the most is just being with Jack without having a huge to do list hanging over my head or having to tell him that I have to finish with a customer before I can pay attention to him.

I hope that I will come back from the lake restored and ready to face one last month of working at The Read Leaf. Which I will especially miss, by the way, for the random connections I make with people.

The other day one of our regular customers, Deb, was in with her daughter, who happened to be visiting from Chicago. I said, "Oh, I'm flying to Chicago next week. Well, actually we're heading to Lake Geneva." And they just lit up and exclaimed that Lake Geneva was one of their favorite places and that they often visit good friends there. It turns out their friends have a house 1 1/2 miles up the shore from our cottage. I know exactly how far it is because they live on the exact same street I turn around at when I hike the shore path for a 3-mile round trip.

The three of us took a moment to breathe deeply and smell the Lake Geneva air. Then Deb wrote a note for me to give to their friends next week. It will be so fun if they end up being our friends as well!

No comments: