Thursday, June 08, 2006

Now That the News Is Out

Word is starting to spread that we are selling the store, and I'm encouraged by the initial reaction. People are expressing disappointment (which I am determined to take as a compliment rather than something to feel guilty about), but they seem open to our sales pitch about how fun we think the new store will be. Of course it's going to be different, but it will be a very good business to have in the community.

By the way, you can check out the website for the new store at http://www.funfinity.com. It's not an active site, and they don't have the book side of the business integrated in yet. But you can see the logo and get a sense of the feel they're going for.

I am working hard to shape the inventory in the direction they want to go. We're doing some publisher returns, cleaning up the database, putting some sections on clearance, planning sales events, etc. It's a lot of work! And the school fiscal year closes at the end of June so I've been scrambling to get a bunch of last minute school orders processed. We're also full into our summer reading season and keeping up with inventory reorders is a challenge, especially because I'm trying to play it close to the bone (is that the right expression?).

I'm on an emotional roller coaster--in mourning one minute and excited about future prospects the next. I've been spreading the word that I'm going to have time to spare come September, trying to drum up some projects to get involved with (hopefully some that will pay). I'm terrified that if I don't keep up many of the connections I've made and line up things to get involved in that I will spend my days in my pajamas watching Gilmore Girls reruns.

Jack is having a hard time adjusting to us selling the store. I welcome any advice about how to help a seven year old deal with a big change like this. I suppose it's a bit like moving to a different town. A couple of times he's said that we're selling the store just to be mean to him, so we're definitely dealing with a very narrow world view here. Help?

No comments: