Saturday, April 05, 2014

Complicated

Yesterday, I wrote about how maybe I'm fine with the idea of being part of a liminal, unnamed generation. I actually don't care for being labeled. People tend to brush with broad strokes when labeling is involved.

I remember being very glad when I filled in for a secretary on maternity leave the summer I graduated from college and heard my boss tell someone I was "not just a secretary." While I have tremendous respect for the work secretaries do--seriously, good secretaries can hold a place together in amazing ways--I didn't want to be defined by the label. I didn't want people to assume I couldn't do something simply because of my job title.

Truly, I don't like people to make assumptions about me. To think they can surmise everything about me (my views, my abilities, my beliefs, my interests, my motives) because they know something about me. Gosh, as a work in progress, I don't even begin to know everything about me.

I am far more complicated than I appear on the surface.

Aren't we all?

No comments: