Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Long Odds

So, wow. Had my first conversation with a guy who talked openly about how easy it was for him to make a boatload of money dealing drugs.

I think he was really talking about how hard it's going to be for him to not deal drugs, especially when it's likely going to take him weeks and weeks and weeks to land a legitimate job that will earn him the tiniest fraction of a boatload.

He says he wants to do it right this time. I sure hope he makes it. But, boy, it's not going to be easy.

3 comments:

Uncle John said...

I believe that it's important that criminals "pay their debt to society." But then, when they've serve their time and been deemed as rehabilitated, how can society shove them out the door "without a parachute" and expect them not to resort to crime? I know it would cost more of our tax dollars but maybe some sort of career training, other than from other inmates, should be required as a part their jail time. Then help with finding employment prior to and just after release.

Perhaps that's just too idealistic of me.

Margy said...

I'm with you, John. I think it would be tax dollars well spent - short-term expenditures vs. the long-term expenditures of dealing with more crime and punishment. We also have a big issue with transitional housing in our community - not very many options at all.

Robin said...

Amen.