Friday, September 01, 2006

Luncheons, Teas and Little Women

In between painting sessions, I've been living a very pretty life this week.

On Wednesday I went to book club at Virlie's house and she had put together a full-blown tea party in her backyard, complete with daintily arranged tarts and a collection of her mom's antique tea cups. Perfect weather, good friends, great discussion about books and about life.

On Thursday I went out to lunch with Linda, Shelley and Lisa. After lunch we stopped in at the Flower Basket, owned by Lisa's cousin, to check out their gift boutique. Lots of fun, eclectic, European things. Then we went to give Shelley a tour of Lisa's new house--craftsman style with lots of dormer windows and cozy nooks and pedestal sinks. They even have a secret staircase to the attic hidden behind a built-in bookshelf!

As a backdrop to it all, I've been re-reading one of my all-time favorite classics, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (which we discussed at book club along with March by Geraldine Brooks, one of my very favorite contemporary novels). It's actually the first time I've ever read Little Women as an adult and it's felt good to hang out with my spirited old friends.

I grew up a town away from Concord, where Louisa May Alcott lived the longest, in an old house that existed when she was alive. I must have read the biography we had of her a dozen times, imagining that she surely knew the people who lived in my house and called on them at least once or twice and breathed the air within our walls.

I know I'd have invited her over for tea! Can you imagine the conversation we'd have?

No comments: