Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Volunteering

All of the school libraries in our district are standardizing on a new computer system. Some of the schools, including Jack's school, have never had their libraries computerized at all. Shocking, I know. But at least we're moving forward now!

I'm going to be helping Jack's school librarian, Jean, get her books entered into the database, but her computer system isn't quite up and running. So I called my friend Angel, one of the other school librarians in town, to see if I could help her out. Her library has been computerized for a while now, but I know she has stacks of books to enter because she stopped by our bookstore clearance sale more than once!

It felt so good to get up and out of the house to meet Angel at her school and get started doing something useful. There are a few weird design flaws in the system, but overall it's fairly simple to use and I made a visible dent in her stacks.

And now when Jean calls to say she's ready for me, I'll already know the system!

No comments: