Tuesday, September 05, 2006

It's Not Like I Didn't Do Anything

I meant to start being truly productive today. For the past couple of weeks I've piddled about, getting projects done here and there, but mostly going easy on myself, regrouping from the last few months. I kept telling myself I'd kick into gear the day after Labor Day.

Well, apparently here's my definition of kicking into gear:

I had to yank myself out of a sleep that felt drug-induced when the alarm went off at 7:50. Helped Jack get off to school. Watched some US Open tennis. Fell back asleep. Woke up a bit later. Watched some more tennis.

Finally decided I needed to get something to eat. Watched Rosie O'Donnell's debut on The View while I ate breakfast.

Had a fit of productivity for a few hours, during which I primarily did paperwork and a teeny bit of housework.

Went to the bank and then picked Jack up at school at 3:00.

Decided I wasn't up to a tennis lesson. I'm not feeling really well--achy, scratchy throat, cloudy brain--maybe allergies kicking up? Maybe an excuse for the balance of the day?

Other than making sure Jack got his homework done, was fed, and was read to for about half an hour before he fell asleep, I didn't do a whole heckuva lot.

I did watch Katie Couric's debut on the CBS Evening News. And, despite the fact that I have no less than two dozen books in progress on my nightstand, I started reading the following:
  • The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman, who, by the way, was interviewed by Katie Couric tonight on the news. I need to read this book by the end of the month for a book club discussion. It's very readable, but also very long so I thought I'd better get a head start.
  • Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck, which I've been wanting to read for a long time and Roger just finished it so it was sitting out and I picked it up. Love it, love it!
  • The Book That Changed My Life ("must-read books that transformed 71 remarkable authors") edited by Roxanne Coady and Joy Johannessen. This book comes out in October and I've got an advance reader copy--boy, am I going to miss advance copies!
I must say, it feels very good to read whatever I want and not be thinking in the back of my mind, "Is this a book I can recommend to customers? If not, should I be spending my time reading it even if I'm loving it?"

Maybe productivity is in the eye of the beholder? Well, at least I blogged today.

No comments: