Thursday, July 26, 2012

Late Nights

Jack just got back from a late night at the neighbors' house, friends who rent from my cousins for a few weeks every summer. I sent him with a flashlight so he could navigate the narrow stone steps and the bit of woods between their cottage and ours.

I loved being a teenager here at the lake.

So many cousins and friends of cousins staying across the five cottages on the land my great-grandparents bought in the 1920s. So many late nights of swimming (very quietly so Uncle Joe wouldn't turn on the light at the pier to see what was going on), card playing (Spades was usually our game of choice), and lengthy rounds of Trivial Pursuit (cousin Peter would insist on taking his time to come up with answers, and we indulged him because he freakishly could get them right!), then making my way back to our cottage over rough terrain in the pitch dark.

It never occurred to me back then to take a flashlight.


3 comments:

Kazzy said...

I love the whole New England cottage scene. We spent a lot of time at the Cape as a kid. I wish I could come hang out and play Spades with you.

Jim Layton said...

Thanks for letting our kids include some Geneva time in their teenage memories. When is Jack going to stay long enough to work the mailboat?

Jim Layton said...

Thanks for letting our kids include some Geneva time in their teenage memories. When is Jack going to stay long enough to work the mailboat?