Sunday, July 29, 2012

Beginnings

On July 29, 1881, the French Third Republic passed the Law on the Freedom of the Press--an important enough occasion that they named a street to commemorate the date in the 1st Arrondissement in Paris.


In the year 1963, Kenya gained its independence. Next year, we'll both be celebrating 50 years. Fifty!

Obviously I have no memories of my birth on July 29, 1963.

The thing is, my mother doesn't have any either. Even though she specifically asked them not to put her under during labor and delivery, they did anyway. Apparently it was fairly common nearly half a century ago. Half a century!

When she woke up, she realized her tummy was flat. My dad was standing by her bed with a big smile on his face. That's how she found out I was born.

1 comment:

shelley said...

Happy, happy birthday, Margy! I thought of you this morning. I hope you're having a good one, but considering your location, I think it'd be hard to have a bad one :)!