Monday, November 10, 2008

Who Am I? Part One

Since blogging is substantially a narcissistic activity, I thought I'd indulge in a bit of self exploration. The reason? I never quite know how I fit into this world. 

I'm an easterner in the west. I'm the mother of an only child in community of larger than average families. I'm pretty sure I'm the only woman in my neighborhood who has never given birth. I'm a moderately left of center gal in one of the reddest counties in one of the reddest states in the union. I was one of the only Mormons in my school growing up. There are no Mormons in my extended family, but I married into a family with pioneer stock on both sides. I could go on.

Why do I always feel different? Is it just the human condition? Or is there something special about my situation?

Today's explanation: I am generation-less.

The baby boomer generation consists of people born between approximately 1945 and 1960. Generation X consists of people born between approximately 1965 and 1980. I was born in 1963.

What on earth does that make me?

4 comments:

Kazzy said...

I am with ya on the missing generation (1964). And I am with ya here and there on some of your other things too.

Enjoy our peculiarities. Celebrate them! No stretch marks!

Anonymous said...

Margy,

I haven't checked your blog in a long time and it's nice to see you are still blogging.

I have never found a single soul who felt that they entirely fit in. I certainly don't. I think that is one of the things we all have in common. If you look through our neighborhood you might be the only woman who hasn't given birth (it depends on how you define neighborhood, Ora is just down the street) but each woman in the neighborhood can find an "I'm the only....."

The great thing about you is that you don't use the feeling as an excuse to not get involved.

PS on the election your experience has been much different than mine. Most people I talk to hope that even when we don't agree Americans can give President Obama the respect that was never given to President Bush.

Teresa Jordan said...

It is because of all of the things you listed here that I like you so much. Be glad you are not labeled as an X or a Y!
In regards to Obama, I just want him to prove everyone wrong. Jaymon came home from school and told me that kids were saying that Obama is going to make all the white people poor and all of the black people rich. He is in 2nd Grade!!! I can't believe it, but then again, maybe I can.

Lauren said...

Besides the Mormon convert thing, you hit the nail right on the head for my current situation!

Here I am, former foster mom of 1, the only married woman in my ward who does not have children (or is at least with child), an easterner through and through in a cowboy town with a Colorado husband, and afraid to wear my Obama shirt anyplace that I might run into a fellow Latter-Day-Saint, for fear that I might be shunned!

Sometimes I look at my life and wonder how I got here!