Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Nine Year Old's Olympic Dreams


The summer I turned nine, I watched Mark Spitz win seven gold medals in the pool and Olga Korbut win multiple medals in gymnastics. I loved to swim and I loved doing gymnastics. So I was in awe watching the Olympics for the very first time I can remember.

At one point I turned to my Dad and said that I'd like to be in the Olympics someday. He crushed my nine-year-old dreams (and heart) when he replied without hesitation, "It's too late." What?!

Last night Jack and I were talking about Michael Phelps and his record eight gold medals. We thought it was cool that I was nine when Mark Spitz set the record and Jack was nine when Michael Phelps broke it.

Then Jack announced that he'd like to be in the Olympics some day. I asked him what sport he'd like to compete in and he said, "Swimming." I told him I'd be happy to support him in that goal.

After all, Michael Phelps didn't officially start working toward his Olympic dreams until he was at the ripe old age of 11.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it Jack!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

margy you could still take up rifle shooting or buy a horse and start jumping............