Thursday, October 05, 2006

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

The day started with a call from one of our book store customers trying to track down information for an upcoming project. I just feel this deep, deep sadness that I'm on the "outside" now.

Then I got a call from Jack with a request to pick him up from school. He was awake for hours during the night, which is highly unusual. He tried really hard to fall back asleep but it took him a long time. He's also been really snuffly. The call was not unexpected.

After we got Jack home, his PE teacher called. Jack and his good buddy have apparently been having trouble participating in the class. So the school has decided to switch Jack out of the class to separate the two of them. After I got off the phone, I started to get a little hot under the collar that the school decided to change Jack's class (he'll now be taking PE with older kids) without even telling us there had been a problem.

The next phone call was the school secretary, wondering if we knew where Jack was because he didn't sign out. His PE teacher was in the office, frustrated that he had spent his prep time looking for our son. He got on the phone. I asked him if he could hold off switching Jack out of the class for a couple of weeks to see if we could help him step up. Basically, he said it wasn't our choice and the school wasn't even going to tell us about the change but thought twice and that's why he had called earlier.

I'm sorry, but if our son is having trouble in a class, shouldn't we be kept in the loop? Apparently, I'm going to be one of "those" parents.

And the rest of the day has just been one thing after another. Like milk spilling in the car on the way home from the grocery store. And when I went to help in the school library, I saw a Barnes & Noble bag full of recent releases (again, I'm on the outside now). Nothing big, just par for the course.

At 7:30 Jack and I settled in to get his homework done. He brings home a book from the take-home library every night that he's required to read out loud. We both just laughed when we pulled today's book out of his bag and it was a copy of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

{{{{Margy and Jack}}}} A big bearhug!
Glad the day ended with a good laugh.

Anonymous said...

Last Friday when I was in Springville (I drive there every week from Bountiful to bring my kids to the Art City Music Academy for piano lessons), I drove past where i thought you were on Main Street several times and finally gave up because i figured either i was blind or I wasn't meant to buy a book that day.

I had an experience in your bookshop about a year ago with a particularly helpful and friendly employee (your husband?) and i am sad to hear that you will no longer be
"The Shop Around the Corner" from Piano lessons.