Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Who Should You Vote For?

Went online to this site and confirmed my voting instinct. See my results after answering a series of questions below.

I do want to say for the record that I believe Mitt Romney is a good person. I just don't agree with him on many issues. On a gut level, if I had to choose between Mitt Romney and John McCain, I'd go against the results below and vote for Romney. McCain's views on national security, which seem to come from a place very deep inside him, make me a little nervous, and I think Romney would be more capable of turning the economy around.

I can't remember where I heard this, but the other day some pundit defined Democrats as people who want "to fall in love" with a candidate and Republicans as people who want "to fall in line" with a candidate. I'm registered as unaffiliated, but am coming to the realization that I may actually be a Democrat. However, I really don't like fitting into a box, so I think I'm going to remain unaffiliated.

I am happy to admit that I have fallen for the aura of Obama. Yes, I have been swept up in the emotion of his rhetoric and his ability to inspire. But I wouldn't have fallen if I didn't also think that he has skills and plenty of substance as well.

Who should you vote for? (my results)
Barack Obama

66
Mike Gravel

57
Hillary Clinton

36
Ron Paul-24

John McCain-24

Mitt Romney-63

Mike Huckabee-84


7 comments:

Bonnie said...

I have to agree on the McCain/Romney thing wholeheartedly. The website pegged me as a McCain voter, to which I just shivered. The selection of questions did not elucidate my deeper anxieties about him. BTW, I have to completely agree about your earlier post on Hillary. When she made the statement some time ago that the abortion debate posturing accomplished nothing, and that neither side wants more abortions, I was brought up short, and it made me look into her health plan more deeply. Like McCain, she makes me uneasy on many levels, but I think it's her (and his) willingness to do things I wouldn't. Still, I can appreciate her. This hatemongering is what is ugly. Oh -- and I'm just a lurker and one-time attendee at book club -- since you're probably wondering who the heck I am.

Jim Layton said...

The first time I came out with Obama; the second for Ron Paul!

Anonymous said...

I answered the questions as an independent.

John McCain 108
Mitt Romney 102
Ron Paul 96
Mike Huckabee 72
Hillary Clinton 18
Barack Obama -30
Mike Gravel -36

Interesting but how the heck did Ron Paul slip in there. He's a nut case ... well, in my humble opinion. And Hillary? I guess polls just can't account for one's gut. Sorry folks but, to me, she's just another untrustable Bubba.

Now that Mitt has "suspended" his run, I like a McCain/Mitt ticket (Mitt in 2012 or 2016?) or a McCain/Huckabee one, provided Huck passes on the national sales tax idea. A 23% (That's a number I heard him mention once.) national sales tax is just plain nuts!

Margy said...

The idea of a McCain/Romney ticket appeals to me way more than a McCain/Huckabee ticket does.

It's not like Romney has anything on his plate right now, so if McCain asks him to be his running mate, maybe he'd say yes?

I haven't heard any pundits speculating on that possibility yet, so maybe it's more impossible than I know. But maybe it's not?

Margy said...

And since there are questions about McCain being a two-term president, it does make good sense to think about a running mate in terms of 2012.

Anonymous said...

It looks like the republicans aren't falling in line this time. The poll in this mornings Deseret News shows that 25% of UTAH voters would vote for Obama if the election was held today. Only 30% said McCain. That is pretty wild for Utah. Most of the people I know are considering not voting at all given the choices. McCain has problems with conservatives across the country not just here.

As far as falling in love? What's not to love about Obama's speeches, he says all the right things about love and country and nothing at all about policy. Is he like the adoring boyfriend who says all the right things and then turns out to be the abusive husband? Sometimes that is what love gets you.

All three front runners make me nervous.

Margy said...

Ah, but I've spent time getting to know Obama and even spent time thinking he wouldn't be my choice before I decided I'd fall. So this isn't a blind love.

I saw the Utah polls this morning--so interesting! Ann Coulter said she'd consider a McCain/Romney ticket this morning on the Today show. Hard to know if that's even a real possibility. But the Utah polls would most definitely change if Romney is McCain's running mate.