Monday, February 04, 2008

1963

I'm not sure why I seem to be obsessed with my birth (see here and here), but two stories I've been following in the news are linked to 1963, the year I was born.

The events unfolding in Kenya have been of personal concern to me because my brother has made his home in Nairobi. I've been following the news there mostly through BBC news. I learned today that Kenya gained independence from Britain in 1963.

Also of personal concern, but closer to home, we've been waiting for an announcement about the new presidency of the LDS church. President Hinckley, who led the church since 1995, passed away last week. Today Thomas S. Monson was announced as the new president. President Monson was originally called to serve as an apostle in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 1963.

On a lighter note, I was browsing Wikipedia for other events that occurred in 1963 and discovered that 1963 was the year Tab, often my soft drink of choice, was introduced. According to Wikipedia, it seems I am a member of a cult after all (see halfway through the fourth paragraph).

No comments: