Thursday, December 27, 2007

In the Genes

Roger just sent me a link to this bit about my Grammie buried somewhere in the Mt. Holyoke College website as proof of genetic heritage. I love all of the same little joys in life that she did!

I have often thought through the years about what I've inherited from both of my grandmothers. I definitely inherited wanderlust from my Grandma Jan, but I also inherited my Grammie's propensity for sleeping in (another little joy). The two don't always work so well together!

I was so pleased that our travels earlier this month allowed me to show Jack the campuses of Amherst College (Dad's alma mater) and Mt. Holyoke College (both Grammie's and Mom's alma mater). Mom and Dad met in college at a fraternity party where they were matched up according to height. Mom was the tallest girl and Dad's roommate was the tallest guy, but he didn't want to be matched up with the tallest girl so he switched dates with Dad.

The result? My unique combination of genes. And my genes have been especially loving that toast and jam lately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the genes indeed ...
Like my Mom, I too love the smell of rain (and the clean air afterwards), the sound of brooks (and waves on the shore), rows of books (that I've read) and toast and jam (not to mention too many other foods). But sleeping-in leaves me groggy all day and feeling as though I've missed something ... oh well, I've always preferred my genes loose fitting.
- Silly Uncle John /:-D