Sunday, January 26, 2014

Just Like Tonight

Tonight, I went to Facebook to ask my friends for suggestions on something to write about in this post. All of the topics swirling in my head are complicated and serious, and I don't have the mental energy to think them through right now.

One of my friends suggested writing about the best part of owning an independent bookstore.

As you can imagine, it's impossible to come up with one best part. Something that I especially loved, though, was the stream of people who came in and the conversations we had. I picked up all sorts of news and information and ideas, and often passed them along to other customers.

I went through some serious withdrawal after we closed up. I teetered on the edge of depression for a long time, struggling to find my balance. Feeling so disconnected was one of the challenges I faced.

Something that helped save me? Totally not kidding: Facebook. My friends there are my virtual stream of people full of new and information and ideas that I pick up and often pass on.

Just like tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a feeling that would be your highlight. That's why you were so good in the store. I sincerely miss that great store. Looking forward to new conversations with you Margy.

Debbie

Robin said...

I miss The Read Leaf as well. I wish I'd known you then. My visits to your store would have been even more joyous.

I'm glad you found a substitute for the people stream. And I'm glad we're friends now.