Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Theme of the Day

Within the last 24 hours, I've read two amazingly similar ideas in two dramatically different books.

From Fahrenheit 451, written in 1950 and which I'm reading for a book club discussion later this week:

"If only they could have taken her mind along to the dry cleaner's and emptied the pockets and steamed and cleansed it and reblocked it and brought it back in the morning."

From Peter Pan and Wendy, written in 1940 and which Jack and I are reading aloud:

"It is the nightly custom of every good mother after her children are asleep to rummage in their minds and put things straight for next morning, repacking into their proper places the many articles that have wandered through the day."

I can certainly see the appeal. I've got a lot of stuff crammed into my head, and it would be fabulous if someone could go in there and organize it all for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heya Margy.
I really like the idea of our mind having 'pockets.' I think it certainly does - and if we don't 'clean out' our pockets they can become stagnant.
Graduate school hasn't left much time for me to clean out my pockets - even when I go to bed I feel like my mind is still working on the problems I was thinking about the day before.
I saw Roger yesterday at the Library; it made me miss you and Jack and Roger and the Read Leaf all the sudden as so many warm and happy memories came back.
I hope you are doing well - your blog is such a pleasure to read. So many good and thought provoking ideas.
Love,
~Shelley~

Anonymous said...

Yup, my mind has loads of pockets, many full to overflowing. My trouble is, at my age I've forgotten where many of them are. LOL