Thursday, July 18, 2019

Write Something

I'm in between again.

I'm trying to figure out my next step in my life and trying to use this time to get things in better order - house, finances, relationships, body, mind, soul, etc.

The last time I found myself in this space was after we closed our bookstore. It took me a long time to find my sea legs without it. One of my kickstart strategies back then was to practice 40 good habits every day for 40 days. I wrote about my experiences, and it was transformative.

This time my challenges are substantially different, but I again see a need to be more deliberate about creating structure. (To be honest, I'd rather hang out at the beach and read a book, which, in my opinion, isn't so bad for my body, mind and soul. Especially if I take breaks for a swim! But. Balance.)

It is not in my nature to do the same thing twice.

On Tuesday night, I made a list, a framework for a reinvented daily approach.

Organize something
Clean something
Purge something
Write something
Read something
Practice something
Stretch something
Change something

On Wednesday night, I came across this passage in Mark Manson's book, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*uck, in which he is quoting his high school math teacher:

"Don't just sit there. Do something. The answer will follow."

Manson goes on to discuss the relationship between inspiration, motivation, and action and concludes with this thought: "If you lack the motivation to make an important change in your life, do something--anything, really--and then harness the reaction to that action as a way to begin motivating yourself."

It is in my nature to appreciate synchronicity.

And so on Thursday, I am all in.

No comments: