Saturday, January 31, 2009

25 Random Things

I got tagged on facebook to write 25 random things about myself. I thought I'd post it here to, since Mom and Dad don't have facebook pages.

  1. Dark chocolate, hands down.
  2. I used to dream that I could swim underwater without needing to come up for air. I wish I still had that dream.
  3. One of my biggest regrets is not going out for the high school swim team.
  4. One thing I will never regret is taking a typing class in high school.
  5. I love to travel! I am very happy when I have an airline ticket and am anticipating a trip.
  6. I want to live in another country and immerse myself enough to really learn another language.
  7. I am not a morning person. But I so wish I was.
  8. Seeing the ocean at least once a year is a need, not a want. Seriously. It's a soul thing.
  9. I wish our house had a substantial, welcoming front porch.
  10. The summer after my freshmen year of college I walked the banks of the Seine in Paris, heartbroken because I missed my boyfriend who I wouldn't see for more than a year. Too bad my angst did not produce anything profound.
  11. After Roger finished his first grad program, I quit my computer industry job and we ran away from home for a year. In our little red Jeep Wrangler, we drove all over the country, up into Canada to Alaska and down into Mexico.
  12. I really, really, really miss our bookstore, which seemed to give me a hug every time I walked through the front door. It enabled us to meet so many interesting people and contribute to our community in so many fun ways . . . 
  13.  . . . Like hosting live music! We had more than a hundred concerts at our store and one of my favorite projects was producing a CD of some of the performances. 
  14. I was very relieved when Jack showed signs of developing a good sense of humor at an early age.
  15. I started reading novels to Jack when he was three (The Mouse and the Motorcyle), and we've read almost every single night since then. One of the best decisions I ever made!
  16. I took up yoga once and it did amazing things for me. So why don't I practice yoga these days?
  17. It never fails that when the movie Joe vs. the Volcano comes on tv, I get sucked in--even though we own the DVD and we can watch it any time.
  18. I love teaching my college class, but I don't love grading papers.
  19. Once I got a professional pedicure and I thought, "I actually have nice toes!" I need to get another pedicure one day.
  20. I play too much spider solitaire. But only when I'm listening to informative, thought-provoking podcasts.
  21. I have an irrational dislike of Indian food. I think it may somehow be connected to bad behavior in a previous life.
  22. I love seeing inside people's houses as I drive by at night. I don't want to see the people, but I do want to see their houses. I'm an architecture and design junky.
  23. One of my favorite times of day is when Roger, Jack and I are all hanging out in bed together in the evening--reading, talking, laughing, and surfing the internet. It's nice. I love those guys!
  24. Roger is watching a Flight of the Conchords video as I type this. They make me laugh.
  25. I have had so much fun connecting with old and new friends and far flung relatives on facebook!

3 comments:

Kazzy said...

Your intense dislike of Indian food made me wonder if we could be friends at all, but then I thought about your love of travel and the way you dig architecture and design and I realized we may have been separated at birth! Nice to know more about you!

shelley said...

I think you were once a dolphin in a former life.

Anonymous said...

I miss the bookstore and the concerts - the concerts kept me alive during some of my darkest days. And I need the "mountains" of the south at least once a year - need, not want! Grading papers - teaching would be heaven otherwise, and I understand we must have the bitter in order to taste the sweet, hmmm. Best, Ronda