Thursday, July 10, 2008

Any Ideas?

I finally hooked up with an acquaintance who manages a furniture store (part of a big chain, which shall remain nameless) to ask about the possibility of partnering to create a furnished reading area in the center of our picture book art exhibit in exchange for nearly four months of publicity. Wow, did he look dejected when he said the powers that be would never go for it. He didn't even want to try. Things are that bad. I think his soul has been sucked by corporate headquarters.

So . . . I've got to come up with a Plan B. I am putting a plea out there to any of you readers who may have contacts or ideas about how to do something really fun for the reading area. I'd so like to do something funky, comfortable and family friendly (no old plaid couches from rental apartments, please).

Do any of you know anyone who knows anyone in the furniture business? Or who has cool furniture they aren't using that they'd be willing to donate or to lend for a few months (art museum patrons shouldn't be too hard on it - especially because no food is allowed anywhere near it!). Or who has reupholstering experience so if we end up getting fun pieces that need a facelift we can call on their skills?

Anyone? Anyone?

3 comments:

Teresa Jordan said...

Margy...
This is a hard one. You could check with Ellen Zimmerman (owns Heritage Woodworks). I heard that not only is she clearing our her store, she is selling personal things from her house. Maybe she would donate something.
Another idea: Post a want add on KSL .com. You'd have to be picky, but you might come across something decent.
Could you do something "outdoorsy" looking. You could do some little painted adirondack chairs or something.
Just thoughts. I really don't know what space you have there or what you're going for, so ignore me if needed.
Are you having fun on your trip?

Anonymous said...

Margy - have you talked with any local furniture stores? I would imagine some of the small-town shops - Lehi, Santaquin, Springville, Mapleton - may be willing to donate for a sign posting the business' name.

I do like the idea of lawn furniture, and I have a couple of Adirondack chairs you're welcome to use.

Best - Ronda

shelley said...

Margy - I'll keep my eyes and imagination open for ideas, and I'll ask the museum staff to start looking for ideas.
Hope you're having a blast at the lake!