Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Weighty Issues

I keep wanting to be ready to write about this very personal issue, and I finally realize that I just need to do it. I will never be ready, but maybe writing about it today will help me on my way. A leap of faith, perhaps.

I am always struggling with my weight. Well, more accurately, I mostly ignore my weight and from time to time struggle with it. I believe that if I was actually always struggling, I'd have gained power over it by now.

Several times in my life I have focused very well on exercising regularly and eating healthfully, and I have enjoyed the fruits of my efforts. Then little by little I fall into habits that are not so good for me and the weight creeps back on.

I'm currently about 20 pounds below my all-time high, and except for a bit of weight loss and regain here and there, I've managed to stay at least 20 pounds below my all-time high in 1995, which I hit after several long, mismanaged years of corporate life.

But I'd like to lose 40-50 pounds from here.

There. I've said it. I'll report back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know the problem well! Big {{{{Margy}}}} hug.

35 years ago fear of back surgery was the key and I lost 35 pounds. More recently, back in 2005, fear of knee surgery was the key again. Yes, diabetes and high blood pressure were worries but they are silent threats. A painful knee reminds you 24/7.

I never thought I'd be so disciplined as to weigh food, count calories and keep records of food consumed but on August 31, 2005, I started. I decided that a slow weight loss of 2 to 4 pounds a month was best as studies show that fast weight losses actually eventually promote regains of even more then you lost. I regained 65 pounds over the years after that 35 pound loss.

By December 5, 2006, I had lost 47 pounds and now, after a 7 week stay in Hawai'i, not being "good," I'd gaining back 8 pounds and the stress of moving didn't help. Now I've finally lost it again and it's on to my original goal of losing 50 and my new goal of maybe going for losing 60 pounds.

My knee no longer hurts, the diabetes is under control and the blood pressure is now low-normal. Now, if I can just break 100 on the golf course. LOL Actually, this weight loss was done with minimal exercise so, as I know you enjoy being active Margy, I'm confident that you will do great.

I have calorie counting spreadsheets which I enter all foods consumed, regularly, all day, every day. I enjoy that sort of thing so it works for me. It doesn't take long to get in the swing and soon you don't have to weigh absolutely everything as you get an eye for it.

Good luck. I know you will succeed.