Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Fish Story

3:30 a.m. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t go back to sleep, so I thought I’d get up and write down the following experience. Yesterday I read an article on guided imaging and how it can help you connect to subconscious thoughts. One exercise was to picture a place where you are very content, then see who emerges to talk with you.

This is a bit on the nutty side, but I swear this is what happened.

I imagined that I was sunbathing on the swimming raft at my grandmother’s house on a lake. Waves rocked the raft gently and the sun and breeze were in perfect balance so I wasn’t too hot or too chilly. I waited for my “advisor” to appear.

All of a sudden a fish poked its head out of the water.

“What to you have to tell me?” I asked.

“Dive in!” it answered cheerfully.

“But what if it’s too cold?”

“That’s okay. You’ll get used to it.”

“But what if I can’t swim?”

“What are you thinking? You’ve known how to swim longer than you can remember.”

I was a little freaked out by the fact that the fish kept answering me without missing a beat, so the conversation ended there. But it’s sure giving me some food for thought.

I’m going to read for a while and then head back to bed.

No comments: