Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Birthday Pi

Happy Pi Day! We celebrated by waiting for an entire hour for a table at Village Inn, then giving up and getting slices of pie to take home.


This is a picture of my sister Maryann on her first birthday and our family's traditional and very tasty birthday pie (cream cheese filling in a graham cracker crust with sliced peaches on top). For many years we had birthday pie instead of birthday cake because my brother was allergic to wheat.

Sometimes it was hard having a brother with so many allergies. Out of both a sense of caution and a sense of fairness, my parents often deprived me of foods that he couldn't eat. Thankfully I didn't develop any food allergies. And I think I've long since let go of any residual resentment. The hardest to get over was the annual confiscation of Halloween candy. Robbie was allergic to chocolate and Mom would buy other kinds of candy that she'd trade for our candy bars. That may be why I often don't have dessert unless chocolate is involved.

Except when it comes to pie. My top choice? When I can't have birthday pie, I choose cherry.

No comments: