Saturday, May 20, 2006

Girls' Camp

Roger, Jack and I just got back from the huge, fairly new girls' camp facility just east of Heber, Utah. I'm the assistant girls' camp director for our LDS church ward this summer, and I wanted to check it out.

Wow! Here's a link if you're interested : http://www.hebervalleycamp.org.

A few years ago, I was the camp director and we had to organize tents, food (and food storage solutions to keep bears out), cooking equipment, firewood, canoes, sanitary facilities, tarps for both shade and the inevitable rain storms, etc. for a group of about 50 girls and leaders for four days. It was a part-time job for several months. The logistics alone about killed me. Never mind the skunk some of the girls discovered in their tent at 4:00 a.m.

Going to the Heber Valley Camp will be a dream. And much more like my own camp experience as a teenager, when we'd go to a proper camp in New England. Cabins, flush toilets, dining hall.

I love connecting to nature, but much prefer it when my bunk is a few feet off the ground and I can hop in a hot shower once in a while.

No comments: